Thursday 3 June 2010

Spring League round 4 Nick's lake Hartleylands

For this match the weather was mild but with showers forecast later in the day. Usually someone draws pegs for Nick and me as we always do the draw together and today the bailiff offered to stick his hand in the bag for us. First out was Nick’s peg and number 17 stuck to his hand. Nick wasn’t impressed and I wouldn’t have been either with the wind blowing down that end and making the waggler difficult to fish. Next out was mine and a rather sweet number 8 appeared, probably one of the best 6 pegs on the lake. I have to mention good old Jonny Watt hear because he likes to draw late and in the last match he had a choice between a flyer and a duffer…..he got the duffer. So today he was faced with the same dilemma…….one flyer and one duffer left in the bag……he got the duffer. I do feel sorry for Jonny as he is suffering from the same fate as I did last year but after my draw today perhaps I have left Jonny to carry the flame. Sorry Jonny, as you said to me a few weeks back “you are better than that” so chin up and give the bag some positive vibes on the Res!

So moving around to my peg, with the wind coming across right to left, I opted to fish the waggler off the point of the left hand island and allow the wind to carry the rig and feed in towards the island. For back-up I had a bomb rod and a margin rig set up to fish under the small tree to my left. For company I had Colin Wood on peg 9 who is a very easy angler to fish next to as he doesn’t mind a chat and is very easy going. We both agreed that the tree was free-for-all and that we should both fish towards the middle branch dangling in the water.

My waggler rigs today were nothing out of the ordinary, just a pair of 7AAA styro floats set at 8” and 18” deep with the usual hair rigs on 0.16 line. The depth under the tree was around 5’ so I opted for an NG Decker with a bulk of no.8s 8” from the hook and set 2" over depth. Corn would be the bait with 3 pieces mounted on a size 10 tied to 0.18.

I won’t bore you with all the details as this match was nothing different to most of the other blogs I have written about fishing the wag on this venue but I will run through how the day went.

From the start I was catching fish, 10 in the first 30 minutes and 20 by the end of the first hour. The second hour was just as good and at the half way point I counted about 50 fish for about 70lb. The only problem I had was a few foul hookers as the fish were really shallow and at one point I counted 6 pairs of pink lips sticking out around my float. The ducks were also a nuisance as nobody around me was feeding to share the attention. I sorted the foul hooking problem out by altering the feed and everything was going to plan as my target was to do 125-150lb for a frame place. Then something happened that spoiled my plan somewhat……….the weather changed dramatically and the fishing died. It became overcast, cold and windy. The temperature probably dropped 10 degrees and the wind was preventing me from feeding 6mm pellets to the island.

I decided to use this as a chance to fish under the tree where I had been feeding corn by hand all day. First put-in and I hooked a lump but the hook pulled after a while. I re-fed and wasted another half hour looking to make up the loss of that fish. After wasting my time I went back out on the waggler line with my bomb and took a couple of fish but it was too slow and I was now freezing cold. With about 90 minutes left in the match I decided to go back to the car to put another layer of clothing on and then focus on the tree and pick off a few lumps to boost my weight but I could only amass 4 in total for an estimated weight of 75lb overall. It didn’t look like many had a good day but somehow I knew deep down that I had muffed the whole thing up by leaving the island. Even staying on the bomb would have seen me pass the ton mark or feeding 8mm pellets and staying on the waggler could have seen me with more.

The scales came round and I weighed in 88lb 6oz for 4th, 17 points and a section win.
Nothing special but the points were welcome and a lesson learnt the hard way.

1st Mark Smith 155-0 Peg 26
2nd Mark Nevins 94-14 Peg 32
3rd Ian Carly 92-10 Peg 21
4th Matt Love 88-6 Peg 8
5th Paul Taylor 87-15 Peg 6
6th John Robinson 86-4 Peg 4

No comments: